Monday, October 18, 2010

Oh the Joys of Motherhood

There's not much worse than opening the freezer to find a putrid puddle of thawed foods wafting up to your nostrils. I guess I take that back -- cleaning it is MUCH worse.

That's what I found this afternoon when retrieving a container of black beans from the freezer for dinner tonight. I often check the light on the freezer since, about a year ago, the outlet went out and subsequently the freezer. None of the food was ruined that time, but I've kept a close eye on it ever since. This time the light NEVER went out. It was still on when I was getting the black beans. It kind of baffled me - I thought maybe one wire was loose and that was the problem.

However, after I cleaned it all out and was wiping down the outside, I discovered this:


I hope you can see it. If not, the thermostat is turned to OFF. I'm sure this was done by Addie or Ella, maybe both. There's no point in asking which - Ella would just say yes and Addie would blame Ella.

My question is, why on a freezer thermostat is there an option to turn it OFF?! I just don't get why you'd want it plugged in, yet not have it functioning.

I am glad to know the freezer isn't broken and on the up side, I did get my freezer cleaned out!

1 comment:

Hart Family said...

So did you lose everything?? That sounds terrible! That happened to us right before we moved. Fortunately we had been working on cleaning out our freezer for a while due to moving. So we didn't lose all that much, but still it's always hard to throw those "good deals" and hard work away. SO glad to see you blogging again! Love reading about you all :)