
I love having a garden. I love how it responds to your care, gives you something back, and doesn't talk back to you. :) It's amazing how a little seed can grow into a beautiful sunflower that's taller than I am. I find it quite fulfilling.

Here's the produce I harvested this afternoon. I had to dig up some of my yukon gold potato plants because they got blight. It's been so wet here (unusual for UT!) that they got the dreaded disease. I treated it too late, so I've lost several plants, but I still have a little produce to show for my efforts. My red potatoes and sweet potatoes are doing great, so we have those to look forward to. The beans and squash are prolific at the moment. We've been loving grilled squash and beets these days.

This is the trellis James and I made for the cucumbers to grow up. Last year I got ZERO cucumbers, so this was made in efforts to help them have a better chance. There are already baby cukes though, so it looks like we'll have a great harvest with those. If anyone is interested in a tutorial on how to make one I can give you the link. The wood was leftover from other projects, the twine was given to me (Thanks Taylor!) and the only screws we had to buy were $1.99. We made two so each cost $1.00! Pretty good if you ask me!

I made the bean trellis by myself. :) It's a little more makeshift than the others, but surprisingly sturdy. James went to Lake Powell last weekend so the girls and I made it together. I didn't want to wait. I dug the holes all by myself too. Hopefully 10 inches is deep enough to withstand any storms! The beans are just starting to climb it. This is my first try with pole beans - I've always done bush (which is what is producing right now).
3 comments:
Oh Jamie....how I'm jealous of your skills! I can love and tend a garden all day long and on Saturdays twice and everything will still die. I have a total black thumb!! We're lucky that we live close to my mother and her garden consistently produces more than she can use so we benefit from her skills!
Jam, it looks great!! I need to build a trellis like that...totally would be useful in my garden....but probably won't happen!:) I wish we were closer to each other!!! Love you and miss you. Oh, and I've already gotten some use out of my new pin cushin! It's so cute. My kids even love it. THANKS.
Awesome Jame. Love it, wish I could get a garden growing, but that much work it going to have to wait until the children are in school...I'm jealous!
Post a Comment