Thursday, May 10, 2012

Soap and the Farmer's Market



This is what I've been up to lately. Many nights you'll find me with thick rubber gloves, safety goggles and lots of oils and sodium hydroxide concocting soap. James and I have enjoyed the process a lot! So far, I've made five different cold-process soaps. (One batch was a complete fail). The rectangle bars are the cold-process ones. The far one with a green tinge is peppermint, next is lavender, next is goat milk, honey & oatmeal unscented soap, and the yellowish one is a shampoo bar. They take at least 3-4 weeks to cure and become usable. I am excited to try the shampoo bar! We've used the peppermint, lavender, and the oatmeal one with success.

The other two are my recent experiments with melt and pour soup using glycerine based soaps that are premade. It's been a lot of fun adding colors and scents. I've only done it twice, but I believe I have a new hobby!

I got into all of this because I want to sell them at the farmer's market this summer. It starts in less than a month and I'm scrambling to get ready still. Soap, leather headbands/hair accessories, barbie clothes, pvc pipe bow and arrows, pincushions, felt play food, and herbs, are among the seemingly ever-growing list of items I'm selling. I just want to have a variety of things at various prices so I can make the most sales.

I did the farmer's market two years ago with a friend and this year I'm doing it with Ali (my sister, she's selling leather hand-bound books). It'll be an adventure for both of us!

If you're in the area you should come visit us!
It's every Saturday starting June 2 through October 27th from 9am-2pm.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Jessie said...

I wish I could visit you, I would love to smell your soaps, and pick up a few of your other beautiful items. You have so much talent, Jami.

Ali said...

They look great! I am not as dedicated as you, I hope I can keep up with all this!