Sunday, February 21, 2010

Ring

You never really think about the weight of your wedding ring until all of a sudden, you realize it's no longer there. Then comes the panic and frantic searching, then sweet relief when you realize you put it on your dresser, or in your pocket.

Well, that sweet relief did not come Friday night. I was driving to the Temple and thought that my ring was awfully loose because of the cold outside. It was literally just twirling around my finger. As I parked there was snow falling. I decided to jog up the sidewalk to the front doors. After entering, I was halfway to my destination when I performed my trademark (thank you Stones side of the family) sharp intake of breath, realizing that my ring was no longer on my finger and I KNEW it was on when I got out of the car. Immediately, I retrace my steps, stopping to talk to a little lady, who told me I better look for it. :) Not having success inside, I make my way back outside to the fading twilight. All I see is an empty wet sidewalk, with an occasional leaf, and grass covered by shimmering, freshly fallen snow that glints in the light. Beginning to seriously worry, I knew I needed some help in this endeavor. I went back inside and searched the floor again, after having an emotional breakdown and reporting the loss. (I hate that, don't you?) Apparently, I sparked some concern with others and several people began to help me - inside and outside with flashlights and all. Still no success. It was now dark - too dark to search outside anymore. I'd already combed where I'd walked inside several times and could not find it anywhere. Deciding that I'd done all I could for the time being, I went ahead and did a session and went home - checking one more time as I left to make sure it hadn't been found.

The next morning, I awoke to an inch of new snow, but resolved to go and search the grounds after the snow melted in the afternoon. Lyndsey gathered her roommates and they also searched the grounds in the morning ( thanks!).

Around 12:30, I heard the phone ring while I was upstairs. I thought it was Lyndsey calling again on her way home. After checking the caller ID, my heart sped up because it was a call from the Temple! I hurriedly called the temple and they said they found a ring! It sounded like it was mine, but of course, I needed to go in to identify it.

On arrival, they called Dave, the security guy, who apparently was quite concerned because he'd checked to see if I'd arrived several times. Such a sweet man. He went out and searched with a flashlight even after I'd left!

Dave pulled the ring out and it was MINE! A lady walking into the Temple that morning found the ring on a bush. Amazing.

I am so grateful to have it back. Even more grateful, though, am I to have the knowledge that Heavenly Father does answer prayers. It seems so trivial that of all the things that happen in this world, Heavenly Father cares enough about ME to answer my prayers and get the ring into the hands of a stranger that caught a glint out of the corner of her eye and who had the integrity to turn it in so I could have it back.

The familiar weight is back on my finger and I'm going to look into getting the ring re-sized. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Jamie!! Thanks for stopping by my blog- I'm not very good at keeping it, but I've enjoyed following your family for awhile! It's so fun to keep up with families far away! Glad your ring was found!

Hart Family said...

Jame,
What a sweet story. Thanks for sharing it! I love hearing stories of that nature and am so glad Heavenly Father answers prayers too...even if they seem trivial, if they are important to us I know He helps us. You are too SKINNY, you need to put on some weight so that ring fits again :)