Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Chick Days at the Harwards!

We took the plunge on Saturday and decided to get some chicks! Addison has been BEGGING for some sort of pet and I will NOT do a dog right now. James is allergic to cats and the idea of a hamster does not appeal. (Hamsters take me back to my childhood - stinky and not as fun as anticipated!)
Chickens, however, are a useful pet. They provide eggs, are cute in the beginning, and will live outside in a very short while with minimum care. I'm hoping it will live up to my expectations as the perfect pet. :)
We currently have five chicks. The girls each have one egg layer and James purchased two Cornish hens to butcher in 1 1/2 months (James named them "Broil" and "Rotisserie"). We tried different breeds for the egg layers - a Rhode Island Red (Ella's, named Lianna), a Buff Orfington (Addie's, named Belle), and an Australorp (Ruby's). I'm thinking of going back and getting an "easter egg" hen when they get some in stock. It will lay either lt blue, pink, or yellow eggs! I think that'd be fun for the girls.
The chicks are already proving their worth as a great motivator for chores so they can be held!
Wish us luck in our new adventure!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Ali said...

SO SO CUTE. I love the excitement. Can't wait to meet Belle and Lianna. Dang!

Hart Family said...

WOW! How exciting! Wish we could do something like that. Are you going to build a coop later?

Jami and James said...

Yes, the coop is all planned and we have the wood. We just need a nice Saturday now!